Match Report: Liverpool 2-0 Lewes

Photo: @LiverpoolFCW

It’s been a while since this reporter has heard Matt Beard’s dulcet tone coming from the dugout. Makes me all nostalgic. 

Both teams start off brightly with both Ini Umotong for Lewes and Leanne Kiernan both having chances with the first five. Then on it was all Liverpool first half with a free kick just outside the area when Yana Daniels was brought down. Both that abs the resulting corner expertly dealt with by Lewes’s keeper Salgado. 

Liverpool’s biggest problem seems to keeping onside with three calls against them with the first 15. 

The breakthrough came from the former hammer Kiernan who managed to get on the end of Mel Lawley rebound, for her fourth goal of the season. 1-0 with 20 minutes gone. 

Lewes didn’t really had a sniff of the ball first half of the half with Liverpool dominating possession. An ambition overhead kick and mix up between goalie and defender nearly gifted the home side a second.  

However, Lewes came back strong at the half time clock counted down. 4 chances in as many minutes with Umotong and Dalton really testing Laws with direct rockets. 

Despite the pressure from the away side it is the reds that get the second. Irish international Kiernan getting her second of the match with a well-controlled strike in the box. 

Liverpool were disappointed not to be 3-0 before half time when two potential penalties were waved away by the ref.  By the end of the first half it was Lewes who were ahead. Two chances narrowly missed when another goal line mixup happened and it was down to Jasmine Matthews to clear it down the line. 

Second half and it was Lewes who came out all guns blazing with the link-up between Umotong and Ayisi almost resulting in a goal. Once again miscommunication costs them. Down the other end, it was almost game over with Yana Daniels squaring one on one with the keeper. A touch too many gave the Lewes keeper time to get her feet to the ball. 

Liverpool were on top for most of the second half but nothing really testing the Lewes keeper. Lawley and Kiernan created the most down the left hand flank. Kiernan desperate for her hattrick but some clever defending denies her at the 75 minute. 

Lewes had a bright spell of pressure in the last 15 with three attempts on goal within 5 minutes. However the rock that is Laws is undeniable. 

With 6 minutes added each team were looking for a last-ditch goal. Lewes as a consolation and Liverpool to solidify their lead. 

However, both keepers did well to keep the scoreline at 2-0.

Matt Beard although pleased with the Team’s performance due to only having two days with the squad, felt there was still a lot to do. He was full of praise for Rachael Laws saying it was her best performance to date. 

Goalscorer, Leanne Kiernan, was also full of praise for her teammates specifically Mel Lawley who set her up for her first goal. “The team is really together and they really enjoy each other’s company,” which Kiernan attributes to their current form. 

Photo: @LiverpoolFCW

You May Also Like