Match Report: Yeovil Town 3-0 Chichester City

Photo: Sheena Booker

Yeovil Town hosted their first game of the season at The Clayson Stadium, as they welcomed Chichester City. After their 9-0 win over Hounslow two weeks ago, Yeovil were aiming for another 3 points to retain their place at the top of the league table.

The hosts applied early pressure which resulted in a number of corners in quick succession, however they all come to nothing, and play continued. 

Whilst Yeovil enjoyed a large amount of possession in the opening minutes of the game, Chichester were able to win themselves a corner. However, after a good delivery, nothing came of their chance to open the scoring.

After a fast paced run down the wing from Yeovil’s Meesha Dudley-Jones, space opened up for Sarah Wiltshire in the box. However, she sent the resulting shot straight at the Chichester keeper, Rhiannon Steward. Yeovil skipper Annie Heatherson was next to try her luck but Steward got down well to stop the shot.

Yeovil continued to control the game in the opening 20 minutes. But after some solo play around the box from Wiltshire, she could only watch as her attempt sailed straight over the bar. Yeovil were awarded a free kick to the side of the box. Wiltshire stepped up, but her shot passed through the middle of the players in the box and just wide of the goal.

Wiltshire and Dudley-Jones continued to work well together down the wing, and Dudley-Jones found herself in space. However, her shot flew way over the bar and onto the site of the new KFC next door. 

After a quick hydration break Chichester enjoy a period of possession and got their first shot of the game. But Yeovil keeper Beth Howard was there to ensure the score stayed 0-0.

Photo: Sheena Booker

With Yeovil continuing to control the game they had plenty of chances to break the deadlock. Megan Wood got in on the action but a finger tips save by keeper Steward denied Yeovil once again.

Chichester managed to break after a Yeovil free kick, taken by Dan Carlton, bounced back out of the box. However, Yeovil’s defence quickly stopped the attack. A very scrappy 5 minutes of play for both teams followed and the next chance fell for Yeovil yet again. However, 2 shots in quick succession from Dudley- Jones were still not enough to find the back of the net.

Chichester had their best chance of the game when the ball fell to captain Megan Fox. Her long range shot nearly snuck in after Howard spilled the ball; but she was able to recover and push it away. 

Yeovil continued to push for a breakthrough with a number of shots on goal and an agonisingly close attempt from Wiltshire, who lobbed the ball over the Chichester defenders and keeper but the ball fell just wide of the goal. 

The teams went in for half time still locked at 0 goals a piece, despite Yeovil being the better team so far. 

Both teams started well in the second half, however, once again it was Yeovil who continued to control the game. After chances from skipper Heatherson and Carlton, it was clear that the opening goal was coming. But for the next period of the game the ball was just passed around between the teams. However, a lapse in concentration from the Yeovil defence allowed Chichester to be in on goal, but despite being in miles of space the shot was just wide.

The introduction of Yeovil substitute Erin Bloomfield appeared to change the game for the hosts. Within minutes of being on the pitch she was able to connect to a Sarah Wiltshire corner, and despite missing the initial header, managed to poke the ball past Steward and into the net. Yeovil had their breakthrough and it was now 1-0 to the hosts.

Photo: Sheena Booker

Both teams seemed to pick up pace, with Chichester seeing a lot more possession, but it was Yeovil who started to capitalise on their chances. A Sarah Wiltshire screamer from the edge of the box gave the hosts a more comfortable 2-0 lead. 

It was nearly a 3rd for Yeovil, but a brilliant save by Steward tipped the ball over the bar. As Yeovil continued to push forward Bloomfield had a perfect opportunity to get her second of the game, after Wiltshire crossed the ball to her in the box. However, she failed to connect with the ball and it shot past the empty goal and out of play. 

Despite her very near miss, it was some excellent play from Bloomfield that set up Yeovil’s third and final goal of the game. After passing across the box to Aldridge she made no mistake of slotting it into the net. 

Despite a late solo run from Dudley-Jones, and the continued pin ball of possession from both teams, when the final whilst blew it was Yeovil Town who would be taking all 3 points. They ended their first home game of the season as 3-0 victors in front of a 250 person crowd. This means, based on goal difference, they remain at the top of the league table for another week. 

You May Also Like