Match Report: Tottenham Hotspur 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion

Photo: @BHAFCWomen

It was Tottenham’s turn to host a huge game at the bottom of the Women’s Super League with the King Power Stadium hosting Leicester City vs Liverpool earlier in the day, with the hosts beating their opposition 4-0. 

That result changed the table, with Brighton slipping down to 11th ahead of kick off, with the Lilywhites sitting in 9th. With relegation a fear for both of these sides, the result could have a lasting impact on the table and their position in the league next season.

But it was the Seagulls who struck first. Elisabeth Terland’s initial shot was saved by Becky Spencer in goal, but the shotstopper spilt it, and Terland found the back of the net on the rebound. 

However, despite the early lead, it was soon level again. Spurs attacked the Brighton goal straight from kick off, and won themselves a corner. From that, the ball initially fell to Angharad James, whose attempt was deflected towards Bethany England. The English forward had a shot, and her header flew into the back of the net.

Spurs found their equaliser 90 seconds after the opener, and who else but England to get on the scoresheet. 

The intensity of the game continued right through the first half, however, the final ball lacked enough quality to find the back of the net.

In the final stages of the first half, Celin Bizet’s attempt went close before a Brighton attempt was saved by Becky Spencer before the whistle blew.

Into the second-half, and both sides were looking for a goal. In the early stages of the second half, Terland’s header was just wide from a Lee Geum-min cross – who had just come onto the pitch.

Geum-min continued to make her mark on the game, and just minutes later, recklessly elbowed Eveliina Summanen in the face. It looked dangerous, however, having been questionably banned earlier in the season, she made nothing of it, and Geum-min left with just a yellow.

Shortly after, Spurs fans were left ringing boos around their stadium as Geum-min found the back of the net with a shot from outside the box. The Brighton players and fans celebrate, but the hosts are far from impressed.

With the hosts now behind for the second time, they were once again chasing the game, however, every time they went forward, Brighton stood tall and defended their goal, and every time Spurs were called offside.

As the game went on, Spurs pushed up the field, and before long managed to break that defensive line. A lovely ball found Bethany England, who was in space and calmly found the back of the net.

A huge final 10 minutes was on the cards for both sides, and the Spurs fans, players and bench were screaming for a penalty after a handball, but referee Cheryl Foster played on.

Brighton substitute, Kayleigh Green had a headed attempt fly over the crossbar in added time as the visitors had a number of consecutive corners.

But in the end,  it finished all square. Spurs came from behind twice to earn a point, and both sides battled to the final whistle.

Brighton couldn’t hold onto their lead, but that points makes them two points ahead of Reading who sit bottom of the WSL heading into the season’s final four games.

You May Also Like