Match Report: Huddersfield Town 0-3 Southampton FC

Photos: @FAWNL and Izzy Field

Southern Premier Division champions Southampton were too much for Northern Premier side Huddersfield Town as they scored three to lift the FAWNL League Cup.

On a day fit for any final the Armco Arena, home of Solihull Moors Football Club, was decked out with banners as fans were welcomed in their numbers to cheer on their teams. Following the conclusion of the FAWNL Plate final, which ended in a narrow 2-1 victory for Nottingham Forest, the stage was set for the completion of the cup competition.

Road to the Final…

Huddersfield Town
1st Round – Boldmere ST Michaels 7-2 (Marsden 2, Sanderson 2, Sowerby, Montgomery, Mallin)
2nd Round – Middlesborough 3-2 (Mallin 2, Montgomery)
3rd Round – Loughborough Lightning 3-1 (Elford, Mallin, Montgomery)
QF – Brighouse Town 4-1 (Elford 3, Sanderson)
SF – Liverpool Feds 1-0 (Stanley)

Road to the Final…

1st Round – Cheltenham Town 3-2 (Freeland, Kendall, Pharoah)
2nd Round – Ipswich Town 1-0 (Kendall)
3rd Round – MK Dons 2-1 (Rutherford, Ware)
QF – Hashtag United 1-0 (Rood)
SF – Crawley Wasps 2-0  (Rood, Ware)

It was a steady start for both teams as they struggled to find their feet in front of goal. Huddersfield Town held their own despite going into the game as underdogs and made a good account of themselves.
There were chances at both ends, however the teams struggled to capitalise. Saints forward Ella Pusey should have put her team ahead with 20 minutes played but went inches wide of the post. A big let off for Town as the tap in was in front of an empty net.
In a very even encounter the Terriers had their fair share of chances in the first half. Their best, a long-range strike from Kate Mallin. Her strike didn’t dip quite enough and Saints keeper Kayla Rendell reacted well to sure it was safely over the bar.
Photos: Izzy Field
After all their efforts it was Saints who had the lead going into the break. Alisha Ware picked up the ball at the back post and managed to tap it past Bethan Davies just minutes before the whistle.
In the second half Saints began to have more control, putting on a show for their fans who made up the majority of the crowd. 10 minutes into the second half they went agonising close once again. Lucia Kendall rose well in the box but her header rattled off the woodwork.
After being just off target earlier in the game Kendall took her opportunity to double Saints lead with 25 to go. Unleashing her shot from the edge of the box it bent round Davies and into the back of the net.
While Huddersfield were deserving of a goal in this game they were unable to put away any chances and with seven minutes of regular time to go Kendall got her second of the game. Her powerful strike past the keeper sealed the 3-0 victory for the Southern side and saw them lift their second trophy of the week.
You May Also Like