ANOC Games Match Report: Team GB 5-2 United States

Team GB took the lead after just fourteen seconds when Sarah Kempson’s free-kick evaded the United States’ goalkeeper, Melissa Lowder. The US had their own free-kick from the same sort of range a minute later but the Team GB keeper, Hannah Haughton, was able to tip over.

The only real chances of the game seemed to be coming from free-kicks. It was Samantha Witteman‘s turn and she forced Haughton into another great save, tipping the shot over the crossbar.

The first proper opportunity from open play came from Haughton although her opposite number was able to make a comfortable save.

With less than a minute left of the first period, Gemma Hillier received treatment after a clash of heads. The US were unable to capitalise on two corners and the first period of the game finished 1-0.

Hillier was back on for the second period and quickly tested the Lowder. At the other end, the US looked like they were going to pull one back but Haughton was able to smother the ball and the referee awarded Team GB free-kick after the keeper was judged to have been fouled.

Team GB doubled their lead after a long throw from Haughton was met by the head of former Spurs player, Wendy Martin, her glancing header nestled into the bottom corner of the Lowder’s goal.

A minute later, Jeané Sunseri-Warp, pulled on back when her low free-kick crept underneath Haughton. 

It was a case of deja vu as another Haughton throw found Martin’s head and she grabbed her second of the game when the ball looped over Lowder and made it 3-1 to Team GB. 

Had it not been for a superb block by Nadine Bazan, the US would have pulled another back with a tap in. 

Team GB took control when Kempson won the ball in her own half, held off the opposition player and then let fly with a powerful drive from the halfway line. 

The third period began with Team GB knowing that a composed performance and a fifth was likely to earn them the win that they needed to qualify for the semi-finals. The US weren’t giving up without a fight and Kilee Quigley cut the deficit with a scrappy finish. 

Hillier calmed the nerves as she put the game beyond the Americans with a clever lob.

The match finished with Team GB triumphant 5-2. The result which guarantees Perry Northeast‘s side a place in the semi-finals with one more group game to go against Russia.  



You May Also Like