Match Report: Chichester City 1 – 3 Cambridge City

Chichester City’s new-look squad started the game well and on the front foot. Manager Sadie Blakely making a few changes from last week’s starting 11, handing a debut to Holly Muirhead.

The team were passing the ball well from the back and keeping possession. Lucy Cook and Amy Martins were causing problems down the wings, but the final ball into the box was cleared by the Cambridge City defence.

A few long-range efforts just crept wide of the post and the Cambridge keeper was in fine form collecting crosses in the air. Cambridge were struggling to get into the Chichester half as Sophie Phelps and Loulou Robson held firm.

Chichester felt they had two shouts for penalties but the referee waved play on after Rhianne Parsons was brought to the ground on two occasions. With the game still 0-0, a speculative cross into the box from Cambridge was spilt by Jaime Rowlands in the Chichester goal and the Cambridge striker tapped home for 0-1.

Chichester’s heads dropped and Cambridge were boosted by the goal and made it 0-2 just before the break when the right-winger found herself free and fired low into the bottom corner.

Blakely made three changes at half time, bringing on Rachel Jarvis, Nicky Lake and Tash Wild. Chichester also changed formation for the second half as they tried to push to get back in the game.

Tash Wild with a great run into the box, beating the keeper but the ball just going wide of the post. Cambridge had a long-range effort as they were now playing on the counter and it seemed to be going wide, until it bounced into the bottom corner off the post for 0-3. Chichester were unsure how they had conceded again.

The team were working hard and Nicky Lake had an impact in midfield as she was making tackles and getting stuck into the game, her pass into Megan Fox, who turned and shot from 25 yards and Chichester had finally scored, now 1-3.

With ten minutes to go Chichester were piling on the pressure but Cambridge held firm and won the game. Cambridge now enter the League Cup 1st round and Chichester into the League Plate 1st Round.

Chichester City’s next game is a tough one, away and Yeovil Town on Sunday 1st before they return at home for a midweek game with Crawley Wasps on 4th Sept KO 7.45pm.

Report by Caroline Henry-Evans
Photo by Sheena Booker

You May Also Like