Match Report: Bradford City 1-4 Stockport County

We managed to get down to Eccleshill United again on Sunday to see Bradford City take on Stockport County. City came into the game off the back of a 5-0 defeat against Barnsley and Stockport were trying to find their first league win of the season. 
Right from kick-off it looked set to be a good game, Stockport had a chance early on but luckily for City the ball went wide. It was in the 15th minute though that Stockport struck and went 1-0 up, a corner nicely into the box bounced around the 6-yard box and found its way into the back of the net. They doubled their lead just a minute later with a great cross into the box and a nice finish.  
City did come close in the 29th minute when a header bounced off the inside of the post but the ball unfortunately ran away from goal, any other day I really do think that would have rolled in. Just a minute later though Stockport made it 3-0 after a late challenge in the box resulted in a penalty. In the 1st half City had quite a few breaks and chances but were just unable to capitalise on them whereas Stockport were looking really promising when on the attack and also when back defending in the final 3rd. The Stockport ‘keeper really stood out for me as she was clearly organising all her team from the back making sure everyone was in the right position and wasn’t going to be caught out. 
Something that City did really well for the full 90 minutes was working the ball around the pitch they put some great passes together and managed to create the breaks needed to get into a better position but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be as they couldn’t get passed that Stockport backline.
Even though City came out in the second half and kept possession alongside having all the momentum it was Stockport who scored 1st in the 65th minute, it really was against the run of play. You could have also said in the build-up to this there was a handball by Stockport but the finish was great and they were 4-0 up. 
City did manage to get a goal back in the 84th minute when Sumaili cut out a loose back pass and took it passed the ‘keeper to make it 4-1, after the goal City looked fired up and wanting more but it was too little too late as they fell to a 4-1 defeat, which handed Stockport their first league win of the season.
I don’t know how Stockport hadn’t won previous to this game as they played really well and I think it could just be the start of it for them and they will only get better week by week. As for City well they looked really strong moving the ball around but when it came to those important moments they just fell short. Fingers crossed though they can bounce back next week against Liverpool Feds. 
You May Also Like